Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Teema Gets a Job

Yup. That's right. I am no longer unemployed in France. Woo-hoo! Well, it's kind of a real job.

Tomorrow I will start babysitting Ella, SoCo's friend's 8-year-old daughter. I've only met her once so I guess tomorrow will be the day that we get to know each other and talk girl stuff.

Her mother and I discussed my employment during a get-together at her house. It went like this (In French, of course):
note: Blah = Insert perplexing French words

She: "El's Nanny blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."
Me: "MmHmm."
She: "I...blah, blah, blah...Nanny....blah, blah."
Me: "Aaaah." *nodding my head.
She: "It's only Wednesday from noon 'till about 6 p.m....blah, blah, blah.
Me: "Yes."
She: "And you pick her up...blah, blah, blah, blah...on Monday's and Thursday's at 4:45 p.m. until about 7:00 p.m."
Me: "Okay. Me walk to school? Far, school?"
She: "No. So, it's about 12 hours a week. Blah, blah, blah, blah. okay, you? Blah, blah, blah, blah. It...blah, blah..please you?"
Me: "Yes. Yes. Yes. Of course. With pleasure."
She: "Blah, blah, blah, blah. If you really don't want to, it's okay to say no."
Me: "No, I want to do it."
She: "Blah, blah, blah...6 euros an hour...blah, blah...and blah. Is that okay?"
Me: "Yea. That's fine." *thinking to self: What have I gotten myself into?

A gentle handshake between employee and employer is shared. I smile at everyone while sipping my wine and trying to decipher the blah's in the conversation.

0 comments: